I’m a few segments into the third Ice and Fire book now and I find myself beginning to lose patience with George Martin.
Six Twitter posts I made a few minutes ago elsewhere:
1. Every piece of serious fandom controversy or fandom wankery I read just sours me further on fandoms of all stripes. And there are so many.
2. I have come to regard fandom as being nothing but a feud/fuss/hate generator, and perhaps that’s not fair of me, but that’s all I ever see!
3. Perhaps if I saw more positive community aspects of various fandoms I would change my mind. But even at cons, I seldom ever have.
4. Other people go to cons and see family. I go and I see only the squabbles about how the consuite was run and the fights over programming.
5. Perhaps if I felt more accepted by that family I would be more able to forgive it its sins - one tolerates these things more in one’s own.
6. On the other hand, I deliberately arrange it so I don’t see my blood family members more than once a year at most, so maybe not.